Where words have no boundaries.

Where words have no boundaries.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Here's Another One!

Ok people, here we go again. Another glimpse into my enigmatic mind (lol)! Something that I was thinking about recently comes from an old saying: “if you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it’s yours. If not, then…” I’m sure some of you are familiar with this saying. So if y’all don’t mind, can we be family for a minute? Can I pick your brains for some feedback and opinions? Thanks, I knew I could count on my peoples!! Lol So I think the 2 main questions I have are (1) how do you know when to let it go, and (2) how do you know if it comes back to you, that it’s the right thing for you? Sometimes we hold on to people, thinking that in doing so, we will ensure the security of their love. Even when something inside of us is telling us to leave, we still hold on. We convince ourselves that letting go is not an option. We adopt the motto “fight for what you love”, so we take our jewelry off, put our timbs on, and get into our fighting stance because we are not letting anything or anyone keep us from what is "ours”. And I can understand that, because you don’t want to be the one who “gave up”. But at what point do you throw in the towel? At what point do you retreat to your corner? At what point do you let fate take its course?? See I used to be that guy who would be quick to throw in the towel, thinking that if things were meant to be, then this person would be back in my life. And if they didn’t, then I was making the best decision for both of us, and we were eliminating wasting each other’s time. Sad, yes I know. It was an immature way of thinking, I will admit that. But what would hurt the most was telling this person who you love, that you no longer “want to be with them”. And although that’s not what you are wanting, in their mind, that is exactly what you just told them. It’s hard to let someone go if that person feels that things can be worked out, because to them, you don’t care or don't love them, which we all know is really just something people say to make the other person feel just as hurt as they are. Because if a person really felt that their mate didn’t love/care about them, they wouldn’t be trying to still be in the relationship with that person. But what if you don’t know what else to do to work things out? What if y’all are having these stumbling blocks, but neither one has come up with a solution of how to fix things? What do you do? When do you “let things go”? And when do you continue to fight?? What do you do if the opportunity to get back with someone you were previously in a relationship with presents itself? Do you take it as a “sign”? I think some people try to make certain “signs” fit so they can convince themselves. They try to put a square block into a hole designed for a circle(yall got kids! I’m sure yall watched them trying to make it fit!) For example, a couple splits up and shortly after, the female accepts a job out of state. So she moves, but her family still stays in the town she left from. So she goes back to visit one day, stops in McDonalds to get some food, and sees her ex-lover working in there. Some people might say that’s a sign, because after all of these years, fate brought her back to him. No, her hunger brought her to McDonalds, and he just HAPPENED to be working there. That’s not a sign. I remember watching the autobiography of The Neelys, the black couple from the Food Network who always cook something with bbq sauce. Yeah, I watch the food channel! So what, don’t judge me! Lol..But anyway, they used to be a couple in high school. They split up and went in two different directions in life. They ended up both moving back to their hometown and ran into each other. Soon after, they started dating again and got married. That’s more like fate to me. I recall one time being in a situation years back where, after a year and a half of being apart, a young lady and me got back together. After 2 months, I realized that it wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. But initially, I thought that us getting back together was due to a higher cause. It took that second time around for me to realize that it wasn’t exactly what was destined for me. This is kind of a side note, but it just hit me while I was writing this, and it’s something more personal to me. Let’s say for example, a person got back with a previous lover and things didn’t work out, as I aforementioned. Now let’s say this person felt the same way about another previous lover? What if they thought that this person could be the one for them, but they’re not sure? How do they go about disclosing those feelings? Or better yet, do they pursue those feelings? I know some people will say yes you do, but is this a time where you should “let it go”? Everybody can’t handle being in a relationship with someone they were with previously. Maybe they are an ex for a reason. So do you take on that mentality, or do you fight for it, until it’s 100% for certain that there is no possible hope? Especially if you and that person have each been in a situation like that before separately, and things didn’t work out. Do you take the experience as a lesson, and just move on? I know I may have asked a lot of questions, but I just wanted to get some insight on some things.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes people are not as bold as they would like to be. To start someone who "gave love a 2nd chance" in my mind is unsure. I feel like if you go back to a person who was an ex the reason for splitting should at least have changed or you become an insane optimist. 2nd, your life experience should always prepare you for the next lesson. When you do get caught up with a do-over you should not allow that to dictate if you are ever going to try an ex-love again. Build some ground rules for dating and treat every man/woman like the unique creature God made them. Besides no one wants to pay for someone else's mistakes, don't make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "insane optimist" reference, and I totally agree with the points in your comment. It's sad that a lot of people can't view things like this. Unfortunately, a lot of do-overs are done with people who should have been left alone.

    ReplyDelete